How It Works
Participants receive a fictional occupation, salary, spouse, children, student loan and credit card debt, and medical insurance payments. Throughout the event, participants visit various merchant tables to ‘purchase’ housing, food, transportation, clothing, daycare, and other necessities from persuasive salespeople (credit union volunteers).
In addition to normal expenses in life, there is a “Fickle Finger of Fate,” giving students unexpected “expenses” or “windfalls,” just as real life brings.
Participants make decisions with immediate repercussions. They have the opportunity to modify their decisions and actions and see the impact of changes right away in a realistic, and safe, environment.
Students Will Learn How To:
- Make real-life financial decisions
- Manage a personal budget & savings
- Spend wisely on wants and needs
- Solve unexpected money problems
- Navigate the financial challenges of living on your own
Reality Fair Details
- We can accommodate small and large groups in grades 6-12
- Service CU has iPads for students without their own device
- We offer introductory classes that can be delivered prior to the reality fair and will prepare students with the basic concepts of budgeting and spending. These classes can be offered in-person or remotely
- Schools located near Portsmouth, NH have the option of coming to Service CU’s corporate headquarters for Bite of Reality
- We look forward to designing a program with you that is the perfect fit for your school.
Schedule a Bite of Reality Fair
Contact us if you would like to learn more or schedule a Bite of Reality Fair for your classroom.